GRITS & SOUL PRESS KIT
They fuse blues and soul with bluegrass: Chew on that.
At the heart of Grits & Soul is the collaboration of Southern song crafters, Anna Kline & John Looney. Their sound is steeped in lonesome mountain bluegrass & drenched in Mississippi soul & blues. Whether they perform as an acoustic duo or a full band, the Grits & Soul sound haunts you. Anna & John have a dynamic musical chemistry that shines through their heartfelt original songs & intricate harmonies.
The release of their first full-length album, Flood Waters, coincides with their appearance as a featured showcase artist at the 2013 International Bluegrass Music Association’s World of Bluegrass week in Raleigh, North Carolina. Grits & Soul will play in a series of showcases sponsored by Merlefest, Pinecastle Records, & The Mast Farm Inn.
The majority of the Flood Waters album was recorded at Compass Records in Nashville, as part of a Kickstarter campaign for The Porchlight Sessions documentary & features all all-star cast of their friends: Jay Starling on dobro (Love Canon, Larry Keel, Keller Williams), Kyle Tuttle on banjo (Peter Rowan, Rebecca Frazier), Lyndsay Pruett on fiddle (Jon Stickley Trio), & Adam Chaffins (Matt Flinner) on upright bass. After the initial rhythm tracks were cut, Anna & John came home to Asheville to fine-tune the recordings at Foxfire Studio with producer/engineer Rudi Ekstein. Other friends who make an appearance on their album are Nicky Sanders of The Steep Canyon Rangers, Robert Greer of Town Mountain, & Amanda Anne Platt of The Honeycutters.
They have shared the stage with some of the best bluegrass pickers in the southeast including championship banjo player Charles Wood, Darren Nicholson of Balsam Range, Shawn Lane of Blue Highway, Nicky Sanders of The Steep Canyon Rangers, and Mark Schimick of Larry Keel & Natural Bridge, to name(drop) a few.
Flood Waters not only highlights Anna’s powerhouse voice & John’s skill as a talented bluegrass picker, but also showcases them as gifted songwriters. From hard-driving bluegrass tracks to slow-burning, bluesy ballads, Grits & Soul are a memorable musical team, not defining themselves by any genre but by bending the rules to create their own distinctive sound. The common thread Anna and John share - a love for roots country, blues, and bluegrass - lends their homegrown Southern sound a palpable energy and authenticity.
Audiences can’t help but clap & sing along. You will, too.
Career Highlights to Date
* Artist for MerleFest 2014.
* Selected showcase artist during IBMA World of Bluegrass week September 24th-28th, 2013 sponsored by IBMA, Merlefest, Pinecastle Records, and The Mast Farm Inn at The Longview Center and The North Carolina Bluegrass Pavilion.
* Partnered with The River Witch Georgia author Kimberly Brock, who asked the duo to appear at select dates of her promotional book tour, Summer 2012, and to perform their song “Flood Waters” that helped inspired her book.
* Featured performers on WDVX Blue Plate Special (Knoxville, TN), Red Barn Radio (Lexington, KY), Thacker Mountain Radio (Oxford, MS), Mississippi Arts Hour (Jackson, MS) and featured artist on WLBT News Ch 5 in Jackson, WHBQ Ch 13 in Memphis, WLOS Channel 13, Asheville.
* Featured segment on NBC affiliates around the South for their song "Flood Waters.”
Select Featured Festival Performances: Museum of Appalachia Fall Homecoming (TN, 2013), Popcorn Sutton Music Tribute (NC, 2012), Chomp and Stomp Chili Cook-off and Bluegrass Festival (Atlanta, 2011 & 2012), Bright Lights, Belhaven Nights Street Festival (MS, 2011 & 2012), Court Days Festival and Market (KY, 2011 & 2012)
VIDEO: Marretta Jeane - Grits & Soul
VIDEO: Blue Friday - Grits & Soul